Four Ways to Decrease Your Risk of Oral Head and Neck Cancer
“Head and Neck Cancer” is different malignant tumors that grow in or around the throat, larynx, nose, sinuses, neck, and mouth. It is developed when abnormal cells in any body’s part to grow out of control and there are various subtypes of this cancer that are affected. We talked to the experts at Mayom Hospital, one of the best hospitals in Gurgaon, Haryana on this topic. They told us that the journey is very tough for cancer patients. It is diagnosed when a thorough examination of the head and neck both inside and outside will be done.
Most of the time, the head and neck tumors are squamous cell carcinomas or may be of other types. Doing CT scans, MRI, PET scans are the most important steps to check the tumor, to know about the stage, and what options doctors have for treatment. Cancer negatively affects important functions like swallowing, speaking, chewing, thinking process, memory, etc.
Let’s see what you can do for lowering the risk of head and neck cancer:
- Stop using Tobacco including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and other oral tobacco products. It is the single largest risk factor for this type of cancer.
- Those who are alcoholics have a higher risk factor for head and neck cancer.
- The Human Papillomavirus (HPV) is a sexually transmitted disease which commonly linked to cervical cancer. Now it has been found in young head and neck cancer patients who change their sexual behavior, especially in oral sex.
- Lip cancer is linked with prolonged sun exposure. It is mostly found in men who work outside under direct sunlight. That’s why, use sunscreen lip balm, and wear a hat and sunglasses before going outside.
- Dental care is very important. Everyone should do a regular toothbrush and visit dentists frequently. Making healthy changes in your dental care can reduce the risk of oral cancer as well as other oral diseases.
To know more about head and neck cancer, I would recommend visiting Mayom Hospital and consult Dr. Manish Prakash, one of the best ENT specialists in Gurgaon. Here you will get all your answers to your queries and the best treatment by the best team.