How Do ENTs Treat Sleep Apnea?
Do you suddenly awake and sit down while sleeping? Do you keep changing sides while sleeping? Do you feel difficulty breathing while sleeping and your eyes open? You may deal with Sleep apnea and is more common in two types:
Obstructive Sleep Apnea: This sleep apnea is caused by a patient's airway obstruction. This symptom occurs when the soft tissue collapses on the back of the patient's throat during sleep.
Central Sleep Apnea: This is a severe type of sleep apnea, where the airway is not blocked like OSA, but the patient's brain fails to signal the respiratory muscles to breathe. It is caused by instability in the respiratory control center of the patient suffering from this disease.
Sleep apnea can affect anyone of any age especially males, even children. But those who are more at risk of the disease are:
- People who are overweight
- Being over 40 years old
- Large-sized neck (16 inches or more for women and 17 inches or more for men)
- Large tongue, large tonsils, or remarkably small jawbone
- People suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Nasal obstruction due to deviated septum or allergies, nasal or sinus problems
- Feeling restless at bedtime and snoring fast
- Feeling groggy and intermittent breathing
- Sudden chest pain and sweating
- Staying drowsy throughout the day
- Frequent urination pressure
- Lack of concentration or heavy head
If untreated, the disease can cause a number of serious health problems including stroke, high blood pressure, heart attack, irregular heartbeat, depression, fatigue, diabetes, headache, and worsening of ADHD symptoms.
Let your ENT doctor help with your sleep apnea. ENT doctor can help treat it as well. There are the most common treatments offered by ENT doctors when tackling sleep apnea. If you have symptoms of this disease, the doctor may ask you to undergo a sleep apnea test. Some methods for treatment are CAPA, removing excess soft tissue, other surgical treatments for sleep apnea, etc.
Visit the Best ENT Hospital in Gurugram, Mayom Hospital, and meet Dr. Manish Prakash, ENT Specialist in Gurugram.